Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What are Platelets?

Drawing of Platelets

Blood platelets help our bodies form scabs. When we have a cut or wound these sticky platelets gather around and help block the flow of blood . The calcium, vitamin K and protein help form the clot when the blood hits the air.



Today I gave platelets. I started giving blood when I was in high school but for about 10 years now I have been donating platelets. When I first started with platelets, it was very hard because I had to use both arms. The blood went out one arm and back into me through the other. Now it is so much easier, just one arm. It takes time but I feel it is part of my Service of helping and giving back to others.



Now I look forward to this special time because I can pick out and watch a movie. Today I chose Tootsie with Dustin Hoffman. I have to be careful not to watch movies that make me cry or laugh out loud. I did that just once. I was laughing so hard I made the machine light up and make it's own noise. The staff all came running to see what was wrong. Ooops!

Please consider giving Blood or even Platelets. It is for a good cause.


For more information on Platelets click this site. http://www.psbc.org/programs/platelets.htm







~Tidbits:

To remove decals and price lists from window, simply sponge with plenty of white vinegar . Allow vinegar to soak in, and sticker should come off easily.

~~~~~Y~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. You are a great woman! This is giving in the truest sense of the word. I admire you! Have a great day. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails