Saturday, April 2, 2016

Lucy


Our little Lucy 
"Princess Lucile Ball"
(5/5/2002 - 3/31/2016)
Tom and I had to make a hard, very hard, decision this past week.

Lucy went in for a teeth cleaning and had all the rest of her teeth removed because of decay.
She never did recover from this procedure.
She got pneumonia.

****
I wanted to remember her through pictures, 
not only for me but for our grandchildren.
They thought she was a funny, little thing.
Everyone did!


Lucy was MY dog.
She would wait for me when I'd leave.
Jump up and down when I returned.
It didn't matter
if I was gone 5 minutes or 5 days.

She was so little (3 lbs.), but a feisty
and sometimes very naughty dog.


I didn't really dress her in "clothes".
But these are the few times I did.


Her favorite places to be
 (other then in my arms)
 was sleeping on warm clothes,
our bed, in the sunshine or near the fire.


Lucy was so small that I could carry her just
 about anywhere or any how.
 I'd zip her up in a vest or my coat.
Most of the time,
 I'd carry her in one arm.


Lucy grew to enjoy traveling back and forth 
in the car and sometime on my bike.


Our family and friends welcomed her.
But she'd keep her distance or 
she'd sit on my lap.

She's so small you can hardly see her in these pictures.



(her shadow is huge compared to her)
She was my walking partner.
Almost every afternoon, at 3:00,
 we'd go around the block.
Once around the block and her little legs would be tired.

Lucy had her routines from how she got up,
when she ate and where she slept.



She wasn't very social
but was always on the lookout
for company so she could bark at them.

She was small but thought she was BIG.
We called it the Napoleon Syndrome.


Haircut
Before                                After


Bath time was not her idea of fun.
Tom usually, had this chore.
The kitchen sink was just the right size for her.



After a bath she would run around and
jump on our bed to dry off.
But a good sunbath was perfect way to finish the ordeal.

We have footstools all over the house
to help Lucy get up on the
couch, chair or our bed.



This is her when I'd leave,
Mad!

This is her when I'd return.
Waiting!



For fourteen years Lucy had been a part of our lives.
She was with us before any of our kids were married.
She was with us during all our moves.
She was with us a long time.

Now we are trying to find our "New Normal".
It hasn't been easy.


Sleep well Little Lucy

"I Love Lucy!", says Chris



~~~~****~~~~
















Arthur and Lucy




17 comments:

  1. Oh dear Christine! I have tears in my eyes reading this. What a darling gift she was to you. There are not many dogs that are as cute as your smiling Lucy. I am so sad for you and pray that you will have peace in the wonderful memories of what this precious gift was in your life for so long.
    Love and hugs to you from Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tom and Christine, I am so sorry that you are going through this. They are more than a pet, they are family. She was truly blessed to have the both of you in her life. She is now running and playing with Arthur on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. May she be at peace. Also you and Tom will be in our prayers as you have the new norm to get used to. Hugs from Florida....Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Christine! I'm so terribly sorry about sweet little Lucy. Our furbabies hold such special places in our hearts because they love unconditionally with every fiber of their being and ask for very little in return. You are in my thoughts and prayers, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry. It's SO hard, I know. She's with Arthur again. I bet they're having a wonderful reunion. Hugs.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so, so sorry, Christine. Dear, sweet Lucy was so much a part of your life. I have tears in my eyes as I read this because I know how much it hurts when our babies pass on. If you were sitting next to me here I would be giving you a big hug, so just know that I am hugging you across the miles. You will be in my prayers as you find your "new normal".

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, so sorry my dear Christine and Tom. I know she was such a dear family member. Your photos are a beautiful way to remember your sweet Lucy. Sending be hugs across the wires. Dee dee

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO sorry! What a wonderful tribute to Lucy's life you've put together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry about beautiful Lucy! My she remain forever in your hearts.

    " A righteous man cares for his animals but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel"
    Proverbs 12:10 (NKJV)
    and care and love and spoil Lucy you did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucy may have been small but her spirit was large. The love of a dog is so unconditional. Thinking of you as you grieve for your little friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh Christine, Lucy was simply precious! I'm so sorry you lost her. What a sweet tribute to a darling! Easy to see why you loved Lucy!!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Christine, I am feeling your pain in this great loss. Our little furry friends leave such big holes in our lives when they must go. I'm so glad you have so many photos to remember her by, and that sweet painting too.

    Sending hugs and wishes for comfort from Father...

    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear friend, I'm so sorry for you loss. It hurts something terrible, I know from experience. What wonderful memories you have and photos to keep always.

    Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry for your loss, Christine, an awesome tribute, you absolutely have some wonderful memories! I so related as we have a dog named jack, who reminds me of your Lucy!
    Sending you much love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christine,
    Thanks for the comment. I look forward to getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christine, I'm so sorry to read of Lucy's passing. My heart hurts for you. Gentle hugs, my friend. ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Christine tears are just streaming down my face. Dear sweet Lucy. I am SO very sorry for your loss. She was such a special friend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Christine. Words can't express my thoughts and the way my heart aches for you as I read this. I'm so sorry that time has come and having been there myself in the past I know a little of how it feels. I'm so sorry you're hurting and wish I could help. This is one of those things no one can help with or do for us, and I hope the healing comes soon. She was surely a sweet and beautiful little friend. Isn't it funny how God gave them such amazing traits and abilities? I sure thank Him for that. Hugs friend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails