Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Eye Surgery


For several years now I haven't been able to see very well.
I'd get a yearly eye examine from the optometrist, get new glasses and still didn't see well.
Last year my vision was really bad. 

Driving was hard.  
I'd read a speed sign and only saw the  __5
I didn't know if the sign read, 35, 65, 55 ????
When I came to a stop sign, all I could read was OP.
But I knew it was a stop sign.

I was finally, referred to an Ophthalmologist.
She found a hole in my macula, 
which prevented me from seeing completely, in my left eye.

 Then I was referred to a surgeon.
 to repair the hole.

 But before I could have the hole repaired,
 I needed to have my cataracts removed!
So both were removed. 
One surgery after the other.
Whew!
 Lots of eye drops.
Lots of eye examines.

💓💓💓💓💓💓💓💓
Finally, the day came for the , what I called
 THE Big Surgery.


Our grand daughter, Ila May,
 sent me off to surgery with a handwritten letter of LOVE.


It was in my pocket even during surgery.


I was told the surgery would take a couple of hours.


This is me in recovery, after only 30 minutes!
I was "awake" for the part of the operation.
The Surgeon even told me,
"NO TALKING!"
Ooops!


Recovery for this surgery is 
really different. I had to have my
  face down.


For 15 to 20 minutes every hour...


 24 hours a day...


for 7 days...


I had my face down.


Tom moved our comfortable chair 
to the kitchen table.
This was my favorite spot.
Someone else liked it too!

Though, I found several other places.


Sometimes I had company.

Recovery had other difficulties.
For 6 days I didn't wash my hair, and no makeup. 
~smile~


Could the glasses get any bigger?

My eye was dilated for the whole time!
These huge sunglasses (prescribed by the Dr.), 
I wore inside and outside.
It was so bright!!!


Tom was in charge of my eye drops.
I took 4 different drops, 4 times a day.
Plus, an eye patch at night.
As you can see, I had a chart...
which came in handy!


I finally said good-by to my "station".
I did a lot of praying here!!!
(15 minutes every hour!)

When recovery was finished,
 I finally washed my hair 
and put of some fun sun glasses.
My eyes were kept dilated during the 7 days of recovery.



To celebrate the end of recovery, 
we had a party.

An Eyeball Party!


Rib Eye Steaks!
Deviled Eggs!


Gifts!
Ping Pong Eye Balls


Levi hand drew this beautiful 
Peacock tray for me.


And a homemade card from Ila May!

A pop-up card that says,
"No more glasses on Grammie-goo!"

And that's right!
I don't need glasses.
Only for reading.


~~~~****~~~~

"Devote yourself to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving."

Colossians 4:2



11 comments:

  1. Wow. I don't mean to be punny... but this is really eye-opening. Just to think of all that you had to go through. Makes me think of several friends (including my son!) who are in similar situations - though not quite this detailed and what they may or may not have to go through - as well. I know our eyes are very precious gifts...and not something to take for granted. Thank you for sharing all of this. Praying for continued healing!! I loved the creativity in the party afterwards. WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting through your trials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that was quite and ordeal. You did great. I have so much respect for you and your diligence. It must've been so hard to sit with your head down for so long each day. I hope you're feeling much better. You look fabulous in that last photo....those sunglasses suit you! So stylish and fun! Be well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO glad you came through all those eye events. Wow that was quite the procedure. Like your new sunglasses. Really cool!

    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must have done really well with the cataract surgeries. You have gone through a lot. The post was informative. I think cataract surgery is in my near future. Waiting for medicare to kick in! Blessings, d

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to get that done! I hope you heal quickly and feel good. Did everyone get over being sick? Take care and rest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you are recovering and will pray for total healing. Girl....I love the eye ball party! I would have had a party too with all that you've been through with this. Well, at least you took advantage of having to put your face down and prayed. Lord have mercy girl. I bet you and the Lord had some good chatting going on. And how precious a note that is! Made me smile this morning. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yayyyyyy for Grammie-goo! So glad your eye surgery turned out so well and that the before and after are OVER!! Praise the Lord you are well and can see! I found this really interesting about everything you had to do to prepare and then afterward. I remember my dad's way back when and he didn't go through this much. Guess it depends on how much work they have to do or how bad the hole is maybe. Ila May's little note is absolutely precious! That is sweetness all over the place! Blessings to you, Christine! ❤️ P. S. Those huge glasses are AWESOME LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just now getting to read this and am so happy with the outcome. Hurray, you can see well again! While you were praying for others, we were praying for you. This was so interesting to read all you had to go through with this surgery. God bless Tom for taking such good care of you. And now you can see!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was quite a procedure, so pleased all went well.
    I do like your new glasses :)

    Take Care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. You came through your ordeal quite well. Lots of time for praying for sure and enjoying the sweet notes from your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails