Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sandwiches in a can! What next?


When I read this I couldn't believe it.
Sandwiches in a CAN!
It's for "Busy Moms".
I say, if it for busy moms, she is way to busy!
Stop and get off the roller coaster, mom.
The kids don't need to go to ballet, soccer, piano lessons, art class, etc.
All in one afternoon.
The children can cultivate creativity and imagination at home.
Have your children help you create meals and snacks at home!
OK...I'm off my soap box.
You can read the article for yourself.
What do you think?
"Sandwiches in a can: Can-do or can-don’t?
To win consumers’ hearts, Candwich inventor knows it will all come down to taste.
Have you been hankering for a food product that can roll around inside your car for months before you eat it? If so, look no further.

by
Laura T. Coffey
TODAYshow.com contributor
updated 7/21/2010 2:32:16 AM ET
Mark Kirkland is used to skeptics. He’s comfortable with critics. He’s unfazed by the reaction he typically gets the first time people hear about his invention: “Ewwwwwwww.”
Kirkland, 50, of Salt Lake City, Utah, has dedicated more than a decade of his life to a single concept: The sandwich in a can.
Or, actually, make that a few concepts: Sandwiches in a can. Pizza in a can. French toast in a can. Cinnamon rolls in a can.
Why a can? Because, when combined with techniques similar to those used to preserve Meals Ready-to-Eat for soldiers, an aluminum can keeps food fresh for a full year or even longer. Yes, that’s right: A fresh, year-old sandwich.
And cans have an added benefit, Kirkland noted: They fit perfectly inside all the soda vending machines that exist, well, everywhere. That means his “Candwich” products could be sold in both stores and vending machines.
“So think about it,” Kirkland explained. “You’re a mom running your kids between school, piano lessons, soccer. Stopping at a fast-food restaurant takes time. This is something that literally could roll around the car for a few months. ... I kind of compare it to bottled water when it first came out. At the time I thought, ‘Why would I pay a dollar for a bottle of water when I can just go to the water fountain?’ Now I drink bottled water every day. It’s convenient.”
But how does it taste? Thus far, Kirkland’s assurances haven’t done much to stem the snickering and giggling. On his late-night Comedy Central show “The Colbert Report,” Stephen Colbert joked about preserving sandwiches with the same technology used to store motor oil. Colbert said of the “BBQ Chicken Candwich”: “I am confident only one of those B’s stands for botulism.”

TODAYshow.com writer Laura T. Coffey conducts a taste test and gives the PB&J Candwich a thumbs-up.
Kirkland knows his products won’t be a hit with busy moms, kids or anybody else if they don’t taste good. To demonstrate the virtues of “shelf-stable bread” and sandwich fixings that have a long shelf life, he sent two peanut-butter-and-jelly Candwich samples to TODAYshow.com. This writer tried them, and you know what? They weren’t bad at all. In fact, they tasted just like standard peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches made with hot-dog buns — a perennial kid-lunch staple.
In the interest of full disclosure, Kirkland did not send the sample sandwiches in a fully canned state. (The cans are in the process of being mass-produced for his PB&J Candwich product launch in August.) When canned, his food products will undergo the rigors of “hurdle technology” — that is, hurdles to prevent the growth of any pathogens or unwanted organisms in the food. By controlling the amount of oxygen, acidity and water inside the packaging and the sandwich itself, pathogens can be stopped in their tracks, Kirkland said.

To build a PB&J Candwich, you spread the contents of squeezable peanut-butter and jelly packets onto a hot-dog bun that has been stored separately in cellophane.
The sandwich samples Kirkland shared with TODAYshow.com included the ingredients that would have gone inside a can: A hot-dog bun wrapped in cellophane; a squeezable packet of peanut butter; a squeezable packet of jelly; and a small piece of taffy for dessert. You just build your own sandwich and nosh."
~~~~~~Y~~~~~~
~Tidbit~
Parents magazine has come up with 20 Best Snack for Kids (none are in a can).

9 comments:

  1. WOW....that just sounds gross. I think I can wip out a homemade pb&j as fast as I could open the can and and get it out. That's just too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen this. I've eaten MRE's and they weren't so good, but when UR hungry they'll do. But this is crazy... for busy moms?

    Like you said stop running around so much, moms & spend some time with the kids at home making some homemade food.

    Have a great Friday
    Nannette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if the Today show gives it a thumbs up, then it must be good, right? LOL

    By the way, I love your new header. Beautiful. Have a great weekend, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you; get off the merry-go-round! I'm even more concerned with the artificial ingredients and chemicals included to increase shelf life. Aren't our kids getting enough poisons now? I try and use as little prepared food as possible nowadays and read labels. As the rate of autism and ADD skyrockets, I can't help but think it's got something to do with our food. It's amazing to see how few vegetables kids will eat; we were raised on fresh ones! Since it can't claim any health benefits, we can assume it's making money. Someone will buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even think of a comment. I honestly thought this was a joke. I guess there is a market for almost everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gross is my word too. Ewwww. I was so health-oriented with my kids nad they teased me as they got older and thought I'd deprived them. I'm so gratified to see my daughter now feeding her daughter organic foods and being very careful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree!! If you are that busy, you are way too busy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry, but I agree totally with you Christine. I say slow down, take time to make some pb&j at home. They are little for only a short period of time. This was a new concept to me though. Who knows what they will come up with next.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails