Friday, September 2, 2016

End of Summer BIG Splash


Some of our vegetables grew
 while we were away.
But not a lot of them.

My garden got hit with BLIGHT!
Our apple tree, tomatoes, zucchini and just about
anything else that grew!

Two things grew real well.
The basil and peaches.


With so much Basil, I needed to come up with
a way of preserving it.
Easiest way,  freeze it.


 Blanch the leaves in boiling hot water for 2 seconds.
Immediately, put them in ICE cold water.
Dry them completely.
Put them in between layers of parchment paper.
Use an air tight container.
Ready for freezing!


Our little freezer is so happy now 
with all the peaches we have picked.
So is Tom!


Sadly, this is all we got out of the garden
before that nasty Blight got to it.



~~~***~~~

Well, it's the end of summer and I
thought I'd show you how
I entertained my grandchildren.
I made a big splash!


I've been doing this "dive" for years!
When I was in Junior High,
 I went away to a summer camp.

There was a contest for the craziest dive.
Well, let's just say...
I went home one happy camper.

So long Summer!
It's been one to remember!



"While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease."
Genesis 8:22


7 comments:

  1. Christine, I've never had enough basil to freeze, but if I ever do I'm going to do it this way. I love freezing peach slices, but sadly didn't do any this year. I had to watch that dive three times. I've never seen anything like it. It looks dangerous -- I know if I tried it I'd do some serious injury to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you are brave with that diving! First of all I'd break something if I attempted it. But I am a scared cat when it comes to diving and always have been. I never learned to dive! Ooh...love that you showed us how to freeze basil. I don't have much right now but need to save what I have. Sorry the blight hit your pretty veggies. I planted some collard seeds in small containers and they are just coming forth out of the soil! YAY! Hoping to have enough to plant several rows of collards this winter. I have three peach trees my husband got from his dad. Some of the peach limbs had fell on the grown and rooted so we grabbed them as babies in hopes they would live. THEY ARE LIVING AND THRIVING! Thank you Lord! Happy Labor Day sweet lady. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I could live on the peaches alone! So sorry about the blight. If I'd done that board trick they'd be calling the paramedics. Though better that part than your head. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Christine, you are too cute! I just loved the video of you and your unique dive {{smiles}}

    It's hard to believe autumn will soon be arriving...where did the summer go?! Hugs and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a dive! I can't swim but even if I could I would think twice about doing that. Your grands seemed to like it though.

    Too bad about the blight getting all of your veggies. Maybe next year. So strange to think it's too late to plant more seeds this year. At least what you got looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rats about the blight -- we had some of that here too.

    Nice peaches and basil for the freezer. Yum.

    Great dive. What a fun memory from childhood.

    Wishing you a beautiful day!
    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails