Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Simple Pleasures

One simple brick, but oh, the things you can do with it!
Just one brick can help when you need some support or weight.

1. use it to prop a door open

2. when drying flowers, use it as a weight

3. if your dog has an accident, use it to help wick away the stain

4. paperweight

5. if your Christmas tree tends to lean or fall over, use it as a weight at the base (if you go back to part 4 of my Christmas pics, you will see the tree being propped by this brick)

6. marking a spot where you left off.

7. use as a table scape prop, usually with a cloth over it.

8. to hold down the lid of your garbage can

9. helpful when doing any kind of crafts

10. conversation starter


This very brick is very special to me for several reasons.
I keep it around to remind me of my history and my Dad.
My dad and I were very close. He died about four years ago and I miss him everyday.
I grew up in the same neighborhood as my Dad did when he was growing up.
I went to the very same Elementary school. In fact, we had the same 5th grade teacher, in the same room! Only she was Mrs. Youngquist when I had her, not Miss Nelson.
She remembered my dad!
The little school grew old and they were knocking it down to build a brand new school.
So,my dad went up to the school, one night and brought back this brick.
He was so excited that he had a souvenir!
This is my simple pleasure, one very simple brick.


I keep it out to remind me of both my Dad and my history.



***********

Dayle, over at A Collection of This and That,

is hosting Simple Pleasures.

Please join us every Thursday.





21 comments:

  1. Christine, that is one beautiful brick :-) So very special!
    I LOVE your ideas and simple pleasure!!
    blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet story and I had no idea you could use a brick for so many things. I miss my Daddy,too.
    Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful brick, Christine, with a great story behind it. Never really thought one could do so much with a brick,either! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Christine, this brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry you no longer have your father (mine grows more precious to me each year), but what a delightful story you tell. Growing up in the same neighborhood where he grew up, attending the same school, having the same teacher. Wow! No wonder that brick is so special. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Christine, I have goosebumps over my entire body as I've read your post. Your brick is very, veryt special indeed and so very beautiful! Wishing you all the best as we approach a new year. Blessings of peace, joy and love. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful memories to have of your Dad and also to have something of his to keep and remember him by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet, sweet memories, Christine. I am so happy that you have such good ones of your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine...I love this. What a great memory...at first I thought...ok...it's just a brick but as I read you post....the wow of it hit me. Great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christine,
    Your brick is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a rarity these days to grow up in the same town as your parents did. I grew up in the same town as all my ancestors (Delevan NY). It is a sad little village these days with little shops and stores replaced by nearby Walmarts and super grocery stores. I am glad you have that brick to remind you of your dad and days gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christine, how very sweet. You sure have some deep roots there. I would like to know how to use a brick to 'wick' a doggie accident when you have time to explain that :D
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great treasure you have in that brick, the object of many uses.
    Thanks for sharing
    Happy New Years to you and yours.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely a common old brick can be!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a wonderful post.Thankyou for sharing the rich relationship you have with your Dad. Just a brick to tell the story!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The memories attached to that brick will be with you always. Such a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad that I read this today. We lost my Dad on Oct. 12 of this year. We miss him a lot.

    I have a brick that I painted as a sponsor at youth church camp the year before last, and it will always stay in my kitchen. My husband wanted to move it out for Christmas, but it stayed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of my favorite simple pleasures ever! I love the brick and the story. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Christine,
    How wonderful! this simple pleasure is a treasure to you but also to your readers! i know it is for me! Happy New Year my friend!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful story!

    Happy New Year, Chris! I hope 2011 is full of happy surprises for you and your family!

    Thanks for being my friend. You are an encouragement to me...one of your many fabulous gifts...an encourager. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful (and multi-tasking) memory. :)
    I went to the same high school as both my parents. My teachers would automatically make me sit alone in the corner because my DAD (no, not Mom) was such a chatterbox/class clown!! The thing is...the got it right!! HaHa I was the same way!!

    Another lovely simple pleasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just one simple brick...and what memories you have. How great to grow up in the same place as your dad and attend the same school. Really heartfelt post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails