Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Apron Call


My daughter called me and asked,
 "Mom, do you remember that apron you use to wear?
 The blue and brown one, with pockets. Do you still have it?".

Thinking,  Ahhhh...yes, I remember it well.
I wore it almost everyday around the house. 
I loved the BIG pockets.
 I could pick up things that I found around the house, 
then put them back where they belonged.
All hands free.
Those pockets were good for hide things or just stashing items.
Coins found their way into those pockets, for some reason.
 It went over my head, was loose fitting and had huge (ugly) designs on it. 
If you spilled anything, you'd never know.
It was well worn.

But I got rid of it during the BIG PURGE a few years ago.
Never thinking about it until Kimmy brought it up.

Then she went on to ask me,
"Could you make me one?".

Sure??? I said. 
Not really sure I could.

After looking around the internet,
 I found out what they call this type of apron. 

~Google Image~
It's called a Cobbler Apron.

I found the material that reminded me of my old apron.
Created the pattern from newspaper.
Got Suzie sewing machine out, (I name my things) and started sewing.
I added one more pocket (for cell phone perhaps) and longer ties.

Ready for Kimmy!


 I'm surprised how our children will remember or
be touched by certain things,
 that they have stored in their life memories.
I wouldn't have imagined that an apron would represent
 any kind of memories.
Surprise!

I'm all about memories!
I'm happy to share and be apart of
 the Apron Memory.



I love you Kimmy!

20 comments:

  1. I'm a Kimmy, do I get one?
    Just joking, of course.
    It turned out super, Christine.
    and is pretty to boot. I know
    your daughter will like it, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaahhh!!! memories they carry us through the good times and the not so good times, I can only imagine how wonderful it made you feel by Kimmy remembering your apron. Your new apron is so pretty, and now it is ready for memory making.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made my mom some of these in the 70s when she started working in a school cafeteria! I had completely forgotten; thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's darling! And it reminds me so much of the one you had. I can't wait to wear it. You look very pretty in it by the way. I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I want one!!!! Yes, I agree, it is amazing what will become those precious memories... it's often something that makes us feel safe, cozy, loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So clever to look at the picture and make your own pattern. I know Kimmy is going to love it and make her own memories with the new apron.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember women wearing those when I was growing up. They wore them to protect their dresses from everyday stains and wear. Kind of like homey 'armor'. :) I've often thought of the wisdom of aprons when I'm standing over a washer of running water treating the spots on my shirts with a bar of Fels Naptha soap! These things conformed and were pretty, comfortable and practical. I can see why Kimmie would remember something so traditional. The business suit had taken the place of the 'homemaker' apron, but I'm glad to see it make a comeback.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful!!

    I'm impressed.

    and yes...

    Precious Memories past, present and future!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom wore one of those all the time. :)

    Funny story about cobbler aprons. My aunt wore them too, and her neighbor noticed that she hadn't been in her garden or yard for a few days, and walked over to check on her. She had just had a new baby, and her neighbor didn't even know she was pregnant because her cobbler aprons made it hard to tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, that is a cute story! Well, that is why I made the ties longer, just in case.

      Delete
  10. I love this Christine! My grandmother always wore an apron and I have such wonderful memories of her wearing it. Now Kimmy's children will ave wonderful memories of her wearing it. And even more special is that it was made for her by her mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This brings back memories for me, because my grandma wore a similar one every day. Your talents continue to amaze me, and you model that apron beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whether it is aprons or oven mitts, as long as the memories are "binding" that is what matters. :) Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a big apron-wearer and love, love the one you made! Pockets are so needed, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is great...and such an encouragement to my soul. I love your apron. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How neat that she remembered your apron! Funny the things that are memory makers. Your new apron turned out really cute -- I'm sure it will be loved! (stopping by from Grand Social!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love wearing aprons! I feel naked in the kitchen without one. My own grandmother always had one on, the big cobbler kind, and I think that is where I learned to love them. Your new one came out great! You've made her a wonderful memory of her own. Just stopping by from the GRAND Social Linky Party. Hope you get a chance to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't it funny - the random memories they hold onto? Something else funny? I have this SAME pattern! I recognize it from so many years ago and having made a few in my day too. Fun! I'm stopping in today from Lisa's Grand Social.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are stylin in that apron!
    Kimmy will love it.
    I am looking for a new sewing project but have tons of aprons. I need to downsize like you and Tom did {in more ways that one}.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, my name is Faye and I am from Texas, I love aprons. I can remember my grandmother wearing an apron everyday and I love the apron my great grandmother wore, it brings back such wonderful memories. Thanks to all you ladies that keep the apron alive in our memories to be passed on to our children and grandchildren. God Bless

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails