Thursday, September 26, 2019

September is Suicide Prevention Month

Suicide is something we don't talk about, 
here in blog land.
We talk about grand kids, recipes, 
gardening, crafts, etc.
BUT SUICIDE!
Shhhh don't talk about it!
But it could happen to any family.

Yes, I know it's the end of the month 
but I have something to share.
In this link it talks about resources and stories.

Many of you know about my friend, Didi.
We met when we were 3 and 4 years old.
Went to Kindergarten together.
Maids of Honor in each of our weddings.
Pregnant at the same time.
Talk to each other, everyday.
Best Buds! More like sisters.
We even send selfies, asking if 
"this outfit looks good".

Which is the picture below.


Last Christmas Eve, Didi's middle child, 
Beau (35 yrs old, no family)
took his own life.

We didn't find out until the day after Christmas.
Didi tried calling him, 
but thought he was out hunting or fishing.
Not a clue!

It has been such a emotional time for us.
I say us
because suicide doesn't effect
 just the immediate family.

****

I spent last weekend with Didi, going through 
things that were hard to look at.
For nine months now,
 we have prayed, talked, and cried with each other.

Last Sunday we 
went to church together.
We reminisced about the first time
we went to church.
Two, 6 year olds,
Bibles in one hand and holding the other hand.

On our way to church

As we walked into church, this time,
we held each others hand!

 Fog on the Lake
Sunrise in McCall

It was a good day!
But I know there will be some,
 not, so good days ahead.

But today... it was good.

God is good!


~~~~****~~~~

And He continued by questioning them,
"But who do you say I am?" Peter answered and said to Him.
"You are the Christ."




Matthew 8:29







11 comments:

  1. SO, so sad, and yes it can happen in any family. I'm so sorry for your friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very sorry for your friend and for you. Suicide seems like the only way out for the one doing the deed. Life has become too painful for them I understand that all too well. My former fiancé had suffered with depression for most of his adult life. One day when it was too much for him, he went to the commuter train station in our neighborhood, waited for a train, and then stepped in front of it. That was 16 years ago and it still hurts. Badly. I will pray for Didi and her family and friends. There are good days, lots of them, but there are always the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, and on Christmas eve...Oh that poor young man...The pain he must have been bearing. I'm so sorry. And the pain his mother feels and lives. Many people are very quick to cast judgement or over-spiritualize these things not walking in the person's shoes or skin for that matter.

    I'm so sorry, loved the photo of you two going to church together. Oh how precious and how blessed to have a sister friend relationship like that, so wonderful. Truly a Gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story is heart-wrenching. I am so sorry for your friend and for all who loved this young man. I am pausing right now to pray for Didi and for you as you grieve with her and care for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christine~

    Such a heartbreaking story, I am so sorry for your sweet friend and her family. Thank you for bringing attention to this nationwide issue. I don't think I know anyone whose life hasn't been touched by suicide in someway, it is so devastating. Didi is truly lucky to have such a wonderful friend as you, and you her. We can truly do all things through, Christ, our Savior. She will be in my prayers as she faces the days ahead.

    Gentle Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for Didi and her family's loss! You are so right, suicide is not talked about enough, and it happens in all families! Thoughts and prayers for all!
    You are so inspiring to me, you are so loving, giving and caring, you not only share your faith, Christine, you live your faith! Many blessings to you as you continue to bless others.
    Read your previous post, you are blessed with such a lovely family, and you and your dh are wonderful loving grandparents, trust me, the dividends you will receive will far out way the investments made. I know, our grandchildren are grown and have lives of their own, but they still remember the memories we made with them, and they call and talk with us often, while living many miles away.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didi is so lucky to have you as her best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you are there for her. It's a terrible tragedy and you are a blessing to her! I'll keep her in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hurt so much for Didi. This was a hard story to read but I'm thankful that you wrote it. And I'm very thankful that you are there for each other, sharing this hurt that will go on forever. Another blog friend of mine recently marked 10 years of the loss of her precious son and I know she still needs friends and family to remember that it still hurts so much, always will.

    I'll carry that beautiful picture of you two girlfriends with me through today and give thanks for the relationship you have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry that Didi lost her son. This isn't an easy world to live in and far too many are being lost this way. I'm glad Didi has a friend like you. Wish everyone did. Perhaps there would be less suicide. God has given you some very special gifts Christine, and your compassion and love stand out in everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dewena told me about you and your blog, so I came over here to read your post. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend's son. Thank you for talking about it and talking about suicide. My son passed away 10 years ago at the age of 21 from addiction (an overdose). A lot of people don't talk about that subject either, but I try to talk about my son and the subjects of depression, mental illness and addiction to raise awareness and to create community. Suicide needs to be talked about, too. You are a wonderful friend. Thank you for being there for Didi when she especially needs you. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails